Roads & Paving
Three-phase roadbuilding overhaul coming to Sault Ste. Marie’s downtown
September 8, 2023 By Rock to Road Staff
SAULT STE. MARIE, Ont. – An $18 million project for major road rebuilding along Sault Ste. Marie’s Queen Street is set to move forward in three $8 million installments, after an agreement was reached at a city council meeting last week.
The goal of the redesign is to rebuild the street to be one-way and two lanes, with traffic speeds to be reduced to 30 kilometres per hour.
The conceptual design for the overall project has been approved and will stretch from Pim Street to Gore Street along the Queen corridor. The first phase of construction will cover the middle section of this stretch, from East Street to Bruce Street, with a mandated pause of at least two years between each phase.
Work on the first phase is set to begin next year, with project boundaries to be reduced should overall cost exceed the budgeted $6 million. To help with this undertaking, city staff have been directed to apply for all available funding sources for financing.
Prior votes on this project were split, with Coun. Angela Caputo changing their vote to be in favour of moving forward on the issue.
“I previously voted against this, and I would just like to say that tonight I am going to support it,” Caputo said at the meeting. “After a long car ride with Coun. [Lisa] Vezeau-Allen and a lot of discussion about this topic, I am in favour of seeing improvements in the downtown,” Caputo said.
A number of issues and potential additions to the project were floated by councillors at the meeting, including curb cuts, accessible lighting, and sidewalk improvements.
Print this page