Maintenance contract awarded for the B.C. Lakes District service area
A new maintenance contract has been awarded for the Lakes District service area to ensure better highway conditions during winter weather.
The contract for Service Area 24 – Lakes covers provincial roadways in the communities of Burns Lake, Houston, Granisle, Grassy Plains, Decker Lake and Topley. The current contractor, Lakes District Maintenance Ltd., won the 10-year contract, which has an optional five-year extension, and started on Sept. 1, 2018.
The new maintenance contracts for all service areas require higher standards and a more proactive approach when a severe weather event occurs. Some of the biggest improvements over the last contract include:
• Returning Highway 16 and other Class A highways to bare pavement within 24 hours of a winter weather event. The previous standard was 48 hours at temperatures of -9 C or warmer.
• Increasing communication with the public to rapidly changing road conditions during severe weather events and other incidents affecting travel on B.C. roads.
• Increasing the patrol frequency to four hours in anticipation of a foecasted weather event. The previous standard was 24 hours.
Twenty-six of the 28 maintenance contracts in the province will be tendered and awarded in 2018 and 2019, through a staggered open-bidding process.
• Private contractors maintain nearly 47,000 kilometres of road and 2,800 bridges in some of the most challenging terrain in Canada.
• Crews apply 750,000 tonnes of winter abrasives and 100,000 tonnes of salt to over 1.2 million kilometres of highways annually throughout B.C.
• The value of these 28 highway maintenance agreements totals approximately $400 million annually.
For more information on the ministry’s highway maintenance contract renewal program, go to: www.gov.bc.ca/highwaymaintenancerenewal
Machines in Construction 4.0 holds founding meeting at bauma“With the founding of the MiC 4.0 working group, we…
Austin Powder's Capers receives Lifetime Achievement AwardThe Austin Powder Company is proud to share that technical…
Wajax CFO resignsWajax Corporation has announced the resignation of Darren Yaworsky, senior…
CDE launches Intelligent Plant with AI technologyIndustry innovator CDE - a leading manufacturer of wet processing…
April 25, 2019
SC&RA free webinar
May 22, 2019
Canada North Resources Expo
May 24-25, 2019
CCA Spring Board Meeting
May 27-28, 2019
CRAC Conference 2019
June 5-8, 2019
CCA Fall Board Meeting
September 10-12, 2019