Maintenance contract awarded for the B.C. Lakes District service area
A new maintenance contract has been awarded for the Lakes District service area to ensure better highway conditions during winter weather.
The contract for Service Area 24 – Lakes covers provincial roadways in the communities of Burns Lake, Houston, Granisle, Grassy Plains, Decker Lake and Topley. The current contractor, Lakes District Maintenance Ltd., won the 10-year contract, which has an optional five-year extension, and started on Sept. 1, 2018.
The new maintenance contracts for all service areas require higher standards and a more proactive approach when a severe weather event occurs. Some of the biggest improvements over the last contract include:
• Returning Highway 16 and other Class A highways to bare pavement within 24 hours of a winter weather event. The previous standard was 48 hours at temperatures of -9 C or warmer.
• Increasing communication with the public to rapidly changing road conditions during severe weather events and other incidents affecting travel on B.C. roads.
• Increasing the patrol frequency to four hours in anticipation of a foecasted weather event. The previous standard was 24 hours.
Twenty-six of the 28 maintenance contracts in the province will be tendered and awarded in 2018 and 2019, through a staggered open-bidding process.
• Private contractors maintain nearly 47,000 kilometres of road and 2,800 bridges in some of the most challenging terrain in Canada.
• Crews apply 750,000 tonnes of winter abrasives and 100,000 tonnes of salt to over 1.2 million kilometres of highways annually throughout B.C.
• The value of these 28 highway maintenance agreements totals approximately $400 million annually.
For more information on the ministry’s highway maintenance contract renewal program, go to: www.gov.bc.ca/highwaymaintenancerenewal
Brandt acquires Camex Equipment Sales & RentalsThe Brandt Group of Companies has announced that effective November…
Crushing it in cottage countryDarren Neil has built and grown Darren Neil and Sons…
MHCA increasingly concerned about Quarry Rehab ProgramThe future of a long-standing and successful program that sees…
Metso receives favorable court decision in China on infringement of IP rightsMetso has received a favorable decision by the Shanghai Pudong…
SHCA Annual Fall Convention
November 15-16, 2018
CCA Fall Board Meeting
Fort McMurray ASGA Lunch
November 29, 2018
BCRB AGM & Winter Celebrations
December 6-8, 2018
Calgary ASGA Breakfast
ASGA AGM 2019
January 9-10, 2019