2023 Chevrolet Silverado ZR2 is the Canadian Truck King Challenge winner
January 4, 2023 By Staff
After extensive testing and comparison, the principles behind the Canadian Truck King Challenge – and the Truck King YouTube channel, have decided to award the 2023 Chevrolet Silverado ZR2 it top honour.
“This the best truck, all around, for today,” says Howard J Elmer, founder of the Challenge, “We were impressed with the Silverado ZR2’s overall performance – off-road as well as on. We felt this truck would work five days a week and play on the weekend – and do it all really well.”
For 2023 Chevy added its ZR2 off-road treatment to its Silverado. This truck has front and rear e-lockers, a special facia and the Multimatic DSSV damped shocks. This is what sets a ZR2 apart from a standard Silverado. These suspension upgrades, enhanced off-road technology and body work developed for off-road performance make it very capable whether desert running or rock crawling.
In addition to its functional features, the Silverado ZR2 is distinguished by several aesthetic cues, including a new black hood insert, a unique grille with integrated lighting and a “flow-tie” emblem, ZR2 badges, unique 18-inch wheels and a unique Jet Black/Graystone leather-trimmed interior, with complementing dark trim.
A unique bumper has removable end caps for easier replacement and the dual exhaust has been lifted and ends before the rear bumper to eliminate potential damage. However, note that the ZR2’s off-road traits are counter-balanced with good everyday driving comfort.
It also important to note that this balanced combination of on and off-road performance does not impact payload and trailering. ZR2 max payload is 1,440 lb. and it will tow 8,900 lb. Inside, the new look and feel of the Silverado interiors are elevated with new colors, seat designs and more premium materials throughout. That’s especially true for the top-level High-Country trim.
According to Elmer, “For all these reasons, we felt the 2023 Chevrolet ZR2 deserved to by our Canadian Truck King Challenge truck of the year.”
2023 Chevrolet Silverado ZR2 highlights include the following:
- Standard 6.2L V-8 delivering 420 hp and 460 lb.-ft. of torque
- 10-speed automatic transmission
- Multimatic 40mm DSSV spool-valve dampers, which feature:
Three separate spool valves to control damping
Three connected chambers for fluid flow
- Uniquely-tuned springs that, with the Multimatic dampers, increase maximum front and rear suspension travel, compared to the Silverado Trail Boss
- Front and rear e-lockers
- Specific off-road chassis and suspension calibrations, including Terrain Mode, which allows one-pedal rock crawling
- 33-inch off-road MT tires
- Unique skid plate package
- New high-approach steel front bumper designed for off-road strength and clearance
- 31.8-degree approach angle
Print this page