Six biggest uses of drone data in construction
July 28, 2017 - Construction companies are using drone data in so many interesting ways. From the pre-construction survey to the as-built survey, here’s a look at the six biggest uses.
1. Pre-construction survey
Initial drone flights are surveying site conditions to document the baseline topography and pre-existing features. Data is exported into CAD or GIS software packages for civil designs.
2. 3D View
Rich 3D Models allow for safe inspection of dangerous terrain. Construction Project Managers are locating and documenting features that might affect operations.
3. Earthworks — Planning
In the planning phase, the data is used to calculate distances, areas, and volumes. Data is exported and used for RFPs, Takeoffs and Project Planning.
4. Earthworks — Documentation
As the construction site progresses, the need for accurate and streamlined documentation increases.
The types of drone data included in the documentation include:
- Time stamped and geotagged imagery for each flight.
- Installation of materials.
- Dimensions for excavations of trenches and foundations.
- Elevations for compaction/density tests on lifts and surfaces.
5. Earthworks — Material management
Drone data helps with daily progress tracking and onsite asset management, by providing:
- Accurate cut and filled volumes across the entire site.
- Volume comparison of excavation of fill areas for a single site or multiple sites.
- Data that can easily be exported to software programs used for generating surfaces in machine control projects.
6. As-built survey
During the project closure phase, data is used for documenting final grading and drainage, as well as completed site conditions.
If you’d like to discuss how drone data can add value to your operation, contact us.
Rosalie Bartlett is the editor of Drones at Work and on the marketing team at Kespry.
LAST CALL for Quarry Tech presentations!October 18, 2017 - This is your last opportunity to submit…
LAST CALL for webinar: Protecting workers from silica dustOctober 16, 2017 - When you consider the many hazards…
Rock to railroadOctober 6, 2017 - The traditional three-part recipe for a…
Terex Finlay hosts Open Days in BaltimoreOctober 6, 2017 – Hundreds of Terex Finlay dealers and…
Commercial UAV Expo
October 24-26, 2017
Unmanned Canada 2017
November 1-3, 2017
ASGA Breakfast Networking Event
November 2, 2017
SHCA Annual Fall Convention
November 16-17, 2017
World of Concrete Asia
December 4-6, 2017
BCRB AGM & Winter Celebrations
December 6-8, 2017