Six biggest uses of drone data in construction
July 28, 2017 - Construction companies are using drone data in so many interesting ways. From the pre-construction survey to the as-built survey, here’s a look at the six biggest uses.
1. Pre-construction survey
Initial drone flights are surveying site conditions to document the baseline topography and pre-existing features. Data is exported into CAD or GIS software packages for civil designs.
2. 3D View
Rich 3D Models allow for safe inspection of dangerous terrain. Construction Project Managers are locating and documenting features that might affect operations.
3. Earthworks — Planning
In the planning phase, the data is used to calculate distances, areas, and volumes. Data is exported and used for RFPs, Takeoffs and Project Planning.
4. Earthworks — Documentation
As the construction site progresses, the need for accurate and streamlined documentation increases.
The types of drone data included in the documentation include:
- Time stamped and geotagged imagery for each flight.
- Installation of materials.
- Dimensions for excavations of trenches and foundations.
- Elevations for compaction/density tests on lifts and surfaces.
5. Earthworks — Material management
Drone data helps with daily progress tracking and onsite asset management, by providing:
- Accurate cut and filled volumes across the entire site.
- Volume comparison of excavation of fill areas for a single site or multiple sites.
- Data that can easily be exported to software programs used for generating surfaces in machine control projects.
6. As-built survey
During the project closure phase, data is used for documenting final grading and drainage, as well as completed site conditions.
If you’d like to discuss how drone data can add value to your operation, contact us.
Rosalie Bartlett is the editor of Drones at Work and on the marketing team at Kespry.
Brandt signs deal to acquire Nortrax Canada OperationsSept. 6, 2019, Regina, Sask. - The Brandt Group of Companies…
Deere appoints John C. May CEOSeptember 3, 2019, Moline, Ill. - The Deere & Company…
New trades training facility puts students on path to successSeptember 3, 2019, Castlegar, B.C. - Selkirk College students are now…
K-Tec signs MOU with JDC of JapanSept. 3, 2019 - K-Tec Earthmovers Inc. announced the signing of…
CONEXPO Latin America 2019
October 2-5, 2019
World of Concrete 2020
February 4-7, 2020
March 10-14, 2020
June 23-25, 2020