Six biggest uses of drone data in construction
July 28, 2017 - Construction companies are using drone data in so many interesting ways. From the pre-construction survey to the as-built survey, here’s a look at the six biggest uses.
1. Pre-construction survey
Initial drone flights are surveying site conditions to document the baseline topography and pre-existing features. Data is exported into CAD or GIS software packages for civil designs.
2. 3D View
Rich 3D Models allow for safe inspection of dangerous terrain. Construction Project Managers are locating and documenting features that might affect operations.
3. Earthworks — Planning
In the planning phase, the data is used to calculate distances, areas, and volumes. Data is exported and used for RFPs, Takeoffs and Project Planning.
4. Earthworks — Documentation
As the construction site progresses, the need for accurate and streamlined documentation increases.
The types of drone data included in the documentation include:
- Time stamped and geotagged imagery for each flight.
- Installation of materials.
- Dimensions for excavations of trenches and foundations.
- Elevations for compaction/density tests on lifts and surfaces.
5. Earthworks — Material management
Drone data helps with daily progress tracking and onsite asset management, by providing:
- Accurate cut and filled volumes across the entire site.
- Volume comparison of excavation of fill areas for a single site or multiple sites.
- Data that can easily be exported to software programs used for generating surfaces in machine control projects.
6. As-built survey
During the project closure phase, data is used for documenting final grading and drainage, as well as completed site conditions.
If you’d like to discuss how drone data can add value to your operation, contact us.
Rosalie Bartlett is the editor of Drones at Work and on the marketing team at Kespry.
Lafarge Canada constructs high-quality aggregates facilityDecember 6, 2017 - To say that Lafarge Canada’s concrete…
Concrete in their veinsNovember 29, 2017 - Growing up, brothers Craig and Clint…
Silica, it’s not just dust!November 30, 2017 - What is silica? When you consider…
A new tool for battling silica dustNovember 27, 2017 - The BC Construction Safety Alliance has…
ASGA 2018 Conference & AGM
January 10-11, 2018
74th Congress of the ACRGTQ
January 17-19, 2018
World of Concrete
January 23-26, 2018
OSSGA Operations, Health & Safety Seminar
January 24-25, 2018
WCR & HCA Convention 2017
ORBA's 91st Convention & AGM
February 5-6, 2018