Ritchie Bros. grows Edmonton auction
February 29, 2016 By Andrew Macklin
February 29, 2016 – Ritchie Bros.’ first Canadian auction of the year in Edmonton, from February 24 – 26, attracted 13,100+ bidders from 47 countries—50 per cent more than the same auction last year.
Ritchie Bros. sold more than 7,300 items in the auction for $120+ million, making it the company’s largest February auction ever in Edmonton. Out-of-province buyers purchased $69+ million of equipment (58 per cent), including $21+ million sold to out-of-country buyers (17 per cent).
“The size of this auction is partly a reflection of the current economy here in Alberta, with 2,700 more items for sale than last February,” said Brian Glenn, senior vice president, Ritchie Bros.
With the strength of the U.S. dollar, American bidders registered in record numbers. Last week’s Edmonton auction attracted 66 per cent more U.S. bidders than the same auction last February, and the most in the site’s history. More than $18 million of the equipment was sold to U.S. buyers (15 per cent).
Close to 700 companies sold equipment in the auction, including Netook Construction Ltd., who sold 40+ items. The Olds-based company does remediation, reclamation, lease construction, and road construction work in Central Alberta.
“We sold in Edmonton as part of a major realignment, including dozers, scrapers, excavators, trailers and more,” said Dustan Rauw, VP of Operations for Netook Construction Ltd. “Our equipment had great exposure—I received calls from interested buyers all over Canada and the United States. Every time the phone rang, I knew it would help the sale price. The end results exceeded our expectations.”
Bidders participated in the auction in person, online in real time at rbauction.com, and by proxy. Online buyers purchased 57 per cent ($69+ million) of the equipment in the auction.
Specific equipment sales highlights:
- Five 2014 John Deere 410E 6×6 articulated dump trucks sold for a combined $1.96 million
- Three John Deere 753J feller bunchers sold for a combined $810,000
- Two Tadano TR800XXL4 80-ton 4x4x4 rough terrain cranes sold for a combined $625,000
- Two Caterpillar 777F rock trucks sold for a combined $600,000
- Two 2015 Peterbilt 367 T/A sleeper semi vacuum trucks sold for a combined $560,000
- A 2013 Caterpillar 950K wheel loader sold for $240,000
- A 2012 John Deere 872G motor grader sold for $267,500
- A 2014 Komatsu D65PX-17 crawler tractor sold for $262,500
- A 2014 Caterpillar 336EL hydraulic excavator sold for $250,000
Auction quick facts: Edmonton, AB (February 2016)
- Gross auction proceeds – $120+ million
- Amount sold to online bidders – $69+ million
- Total registered bidders (onsite and online) – 13,100+ bidders from 47 countries
- Online registered bidders – 8,150+ (62 per cent)
- Number of lots sold – 7,300+
- Number of sellers – 690+
Ritchie Bros. has 135+ upcoming auctions on its calendar at rbauction.com, including a two-day auction in Grande Prairie, Alberta on March 14 – 15, 2016. More than 2,000 items will be sold in the Grande Prairie auction, including 60+ dozers, 60+ excavators, hundreds of trucks and trailers, pipeline equipment, late-model portable work camps and more.
Print this page