Over 6,900 items sold at Edmonton auction
By Andrew Macklin
Oct. 30, 2015 – Ritchie Bros. sold $137+ million of heavy equipment and trucks at its unreserved public auction in Edmonton, AB October 27 – 29, 2015. Ritchie Bros.’ Edmonton site has already surpassed its 2014 sales record, selling over $633 million of equipment at five auctions and surpassing last year’s total of over $569 million of equipment sold at six auctions. Ritchie Bros. will hold its final Edmonton auction of 2015 from December 10 – 11.
“This was our largest October auction ever with solid pricing overall. In particular we saw strong results for motor graders, excavators, winch tractors, service trucks, crawler tractors and pipelayers,” said Trent Vandenberghe, vice president of sales, Ritchie Bros.
The auction attracted over 10,300 bidders from 55 countries, including more than 6,600 online bidders. Approximately 17 per cent of the equipment sold to out-of-country buyers from as far away as Australia, Thailand and the United Kingdom. More than 51 per cent of the equipment was purchased by Alberta buyers, while buyers from the United States purchased 13 per cent.
“We sold our entire fleet in the auction—more than 750 items—and the results exceeded our expectations,” said Ryan Hilton, president & CEO, Spirit Pipelines Ltd., a Wetaskiwin, AB-based pipeline and facility construction company.
More than 6,900+ items from 875+ sellers were sold in the Edmonton auction this week, including 160+ excavators, 120+ dozers, 70+ articulated dump trucks, 50+ wheel loaders, 45 motor graders, 25+ farm tractors, 680+ trailers, 170+ truck tractors, 110+ flatbed trucks, 60+ boom trucks, 40+ service trucks, 45 winch tractors, and 260+ pickup trucks.
Specific sales highlights:
- Six Caterpillar 627H motor scrapers sold for a combined $3.6+ million
- Six Caterpillar 14M VHP Plus motor graders sold for a combined $1.8+ million
- Three 2013 John Deere 410E 6×6 articulated dump trucks sold for a combined $940,000
- Three CMI 250 Hurricane mulchers sold for a combined $762,500
- Two 2005 Grove TMS900E 90-ton 8x8x4 hydraulic truck cranes sold for a combined $820,000
- Two 2014 John Deere 850K LGP w/ 2013 M572CXL crawler pipelayers sold for a combined $810,000
- Two 2013 John Deere 470G LC VG hydraulic excavators sold for a combined $637,500
- Two Kenworth tri-drive Texas bed winch tractors sold for a combined $395,000
- Two 2013 John Deere 544K wheel loaders sold for a combined $260,000
- A 2009 Caterpillar D8T crawler tractor sold for $375,000
- A 2009 Peterbilt 340 T/A fuel & lube truck sold for $212,500
Auction Quick Facts: Edmonton, AB – October 27 – 29, 2015
- Gross Auction Proceeds – $137+ million
- Amount sold to online bidders – $80+ million
- Total registered bidders (onsite and online) – 10,300+
- Unique registered online bidders – 6,600+
- Number of lots sold – 6,900+
- Number of sellers – 875+
Ritchie Bros. has 90+ auctions listed on its auction calendar at rbauction.com, including 50+ auctions remaining in 2015. The sixth and final Edmonton auction of 2015 will be held on December 10 – 11.