Construction work rewarding, but workforce shrinking: survey
A 2019 Angus Reid survey* commissioned by Procore found that 89 per cent of Canadians agree that a career in the construction industry is rewarding, but the industry is still struggling with a shrinking workforce. One contributing factor: the industry’s lagging adoption of new technology.
Procore is addressing this problem with its construction management software platform, which is built specifically for construction and being used by major Canadian developers and contractors today.
The company is also focusing on growing its footprint in Canada with recent office expansion in Toronto and Vancouver.
How does Procore contribute to fundamentally changing the work flow on construction sites? One example is, instead of heading back to a trailer to check new drawings, field workers can work with drawings dynamically on phones and tablets. This helps avoid costly re-work – situations when work has been completed based on out-of-date drawings and must be done over. In fact, 76 per cent of Procore users say they have reduced the number of non-recoverable change orders since using the platform.
Crucially, everyone works from the same drawing and financial information in real-time – field workers, project managers in the office, specialty constructors, architects and materials suppliers – across the project’s entire lifespan, from bidding to financial close. Procore works on any smartphone, tablet or computer, ensuring field and office workers have equal access.
Current relevant topics:
• The skills gap in the construction industry
• Construction and STEM – The industry is struggling to attract new workers with STEM backgrounds, despite the fact the industry is naturally STEM-focused in its roles and offers good pay and lucrative career paths
• Women in construction
• Safety in construction/Safety Month (May)
• Industry specific topics around project management; financial management; quality assurance; field productivity management and enhancement; real-time collaboration
Procore is a leading provider of cloud-based applications for construction. Procore connects people, applications, and devices through a unified platform to help construction professionals manage risk and build quality projects, safely, on time, and within budget. The company has a diversified business model with products for project management, construction financials, quality & safety, and field productivity.
* These are the findings of a study/survey conducted on behalf of Procore from February 28th to March 4th, 2019, with a representative sample of 1,500 online Canadian members of the Angus Reid Forum. The survey was conducted in English and French.
Ritchie Bros. sets new record at Toronto auctionRitchie Bros. set a new record in Toronto this week,…
Nominations for AEM Hall of Fame due June 12The Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) Hall of Fame is…
Service school class gets preview of remote paverMore than 60 paver operators from across the U.S. gathered…
Bridgestone off-road tire plant gets LEED certificationBridgestone Americas, Inc. (Bridgestone), a subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation today…
SC&RA free webinar
May 22, 2019
Canada North Resources Expo
May 24-25, 2019
CCA Spring Board Meeting
May 27-28, 2019
CRAC Conference 2019
June 5-8, 2019
CCA Fall Board Meeting
September 10-12, 2019
CONEXPO Latin America 2019
October 2-5, 2019