Products & Equipment
Roads & Paving
Lehigh Cement launches new Portland Limestone Cement
February 2, 2021 By Rock to Road
Edmonton, Alta. – Lehigh Hanson recently launched its new Portland Limestone Cement called EcoCem PLUS. EcoCem PLUS is an innovative blended Portland Limestone Cement (PLC) available in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
Lehigh’s latest cement product provides strength and durability while significantly reducing the carbon footprint in concrete.
- EcoCem PLUS is produced by inter-grinding clinker, fly ash, limestone and gypsum.
- Combining materials at the Edmonton cement plant provides the highest level of quality control and assures consistent proportions.
- All-in-one product reduces the need for additional silos and co-ordination of multiple deliveries at concrete plants and project sites.
- Through Lehigh’s strong network of terminals and raw material supply, EcoCem PLUS provides a stable supply of cement and fly ash.
- Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) for EcoCem PLUS clearly states the immediate reduction in Global Warming Potential (GWP) versus other types of cement.
“The motivation behind the EcoCem brand of products is to reduce the embodied carbon of cement and concrete,” said Shawn McMillan, vice-president Lehigh Cement Canada. “The introduction of EcoCem PLUS to the prairie market builds on our commitment to providing environmentally responsible types of cement that deliver excellent performance while dramatically reducing CO2 emissions.”
The company said EcoCem PLUS can lower the carbon footprint by more than 22 per cent as compared to Lehigh’s General Use (GU) cement.
HeidelbergCement, Lehigh Cement’s global parent company, has committed to reducing 30 per cent of its carbon emissions by 2025 and providing carbon-neutral concrete by 2050. EcoCem PLUS is the latest of several new products recently developed to help achieve those goals.
Lehigh also announced it has published product and plant-specific EPDs for all of its cement products produced at the Edmonton plant. Lehigh Cement worked with Climate Earth to develop the EPDs and they can be found at the National Ready Mixed Concrete Association (NRMCA) website: www.nrmca.org.
Print this page