Construction begins on Highway 401 expansion from Mississauga to Milton
Government reducing congestion and improving quality of life for workers, families and businesses.
December 3, 2019 By Rock to Road
Dec. 3, 2019, Mississauga, Ont. – Ontario’s government is making life easier for drivers by widening 18 kilometres of Highway 401 from Mississauga to Milton.
Kinga Surma, associate minister of transportation, announced that the province is putting people first by investing $640 million to widen Highway 401, which will shorten commute times and encourage investment and job creation.
“Our government is committed to strengthening Ontario’s highway network and making Ontario open for business,” said associate minister Surma. “This crucial expansion of Highway 401 means that thousands of Ontarians will spend less time in traffic and more time on the things that matter to them – being with family, friends or at work.”
The project will widen 18 kilometres of highway from the Credit River in Mississauga to Regional Road 25 in Milton and includes reconstruction of bridges as well as upgrades to support facilities and features. Construction is underway and drivers can expect to use the expanded highway by 2022. Widening the highway will reduce congestion and improve quality of life for workers, families and businesses in Ontario.
- Once completed, the expanded highway will include:
- 12 lane core-collector system from the Credit River to Winston Churchill Boulevard.
- 10 lanes from Winston Churchill Boulevard to Highway 407 ETR/ Highway 401 interchange.
- 12 lane core-collector system from Highway 407 ETR/ Highway 401 interchange to James Snow Parkway.
- 10 lanes from James Snow Parkway to RR 25.
- Median High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes.
- New or improved support facilities and features, such as drainage, lighting, signage and carpool lots.
- The project is being delivered through Infrastructure Ontario’s design, build and finance Public-Private Partnership model, which transfers appropriate risks associated with design, construction and financing of the project to the private sector.
- West Corridor Constructors was awarded the contract to design, build and finance the Highway 401 Expansion project.
- Approximately 250,000 vehicles travel on Highway 401 in the Peel and Halton regions on a daily basis.
Print this page