Canada is vital to U.S. equipment manufacturers
By Andy Bateman
March 9, 2010 – Data released last week by the U.S.
Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) underscores the importance of Canada as an export market for U.S. construction machinery
At $3.7 billion, 2009 exports to Canada
- More than the COMBINED total of exports to the second through sixth
placed countries; Mexico,
Australia, Chile, Brazil
- 3.7 times more than the $1.0 billion of exports to Mexico,
the next biggest country
- More than 7.5 times the exports to China
Looked at by region, exports to Canada were also
- Over 1.5 times the exports to the entire South
- 1.85 the exports to the entire Asia
- 2.5 times the exports to Europe
Reviewing the data, AEM President Dennis Slater
stated that "exports have literally been a lifeline for the construction
equipment industry, which saw U.S.
business plummet more than 40 percent last year and unemployment soar to more
than double the national average."