Canada is vital to U.S. equipment manufacturers
March 8, 2010 By Andy Bateman
March 9, 2010 – Data released last week by the U.S.
Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) underscores the importance of Canada as an export market for U.S. construction machinery
At $3.7 billion, 2009 exports to Canada
- More than the COMBINED total of exports to the second through sixth
placed countries; Mexico,
Australia, Chile, Brazil
- 3.7 times more than the $1.0 billion of exports to Mexico,
the next biggest country
- More than 7.5 times the exports to China
Looked at by region, exports to Canada were also
- Over 1.5 times the exports to the entire South
- 1.85 the exports to the entire Asia
- 2.5 times the exports to Europe
Reviewing the data, AEM President Dennis Slater
stated that "exports have literally been a lifeline for the construction
equipment industry, which saw U.S.
business plummet more than 40 percent last year and unemployment soar to more
than double the national average."
Print this page
Stories continue below